Declaring / Changing Your Major

If declaring or changing your major will keep you in the school or college in which you are currently enrolled, then you simply fill out a form that is available in the office of the academic dean who oversees the major you are declaring. If the new major will move you into a different school or college, then there are additional steps that are explained farther down in this document. If you are interested in declaring a second major, then see: Double Major.

When you declare or change a major you will be assigned to an academic adviser from that department, which will give you access to the most knowledgeable advice concerning the requirements for that major and on tailoring the major to your career and life goals.

Many students come to Stetson with little or no idea of what they want to major in. They are called Discovery students, and the Discovery Program is designed to assist them as they search for a major. Various strategies that can be utilized in looking for a major are discussed in How to Search for a Major.

You do not need to wait until you are absolutely sure about your choice before you declare a major. You can change your mind at any time, so declare as soon as you have a strong leading candidate. It is always a good idea to discuss the major with a faculty member from that department so that you have a clear understanding of the requirements for the major, and so that you can develop a plan for when you will be taking the required courses.

If you are considering majoring in a subject with a highly sequential curriculum like Biochemistry, Chemistry, Mathematics, Molecular Biology, or Physics, you should begin taking courses in the major as soon as possible, ideally during your freshman year. It is perfectly okay to begin taking the courses without formally declaring the major, but you should have a faculty member from that department check over the courses you are choosing.

Most students declare a major by the end of their sophomore year. Delaying a choice much beyond the sophomore year may result in a delay in when you graduate.

Changing The School or College You Are Enrolled In

You must be in good academic standing (GPA of 2.0 or better) to present a request for declaring or changing a major that results in you moving to a different school or college. The request is made to your current academic dean using a form that is available in the dean's office or the Registrar's office. The form will require you to consult with your academic advisers and the deans of both the current and requested school/college to ensure that you understand how the change will affect transfer of credits, additional or new requirements, and other curricular implications.

If you do not meet the minimum GPA criterion for a change of major that involves transferring to a new school or college, then you must consult with the dean of the intended school or college. The dean and faculty advisers will help you map out a plan that will allow you to return to good standing academically while also exploring the possibilities of the new major. Upon successful completion of the plan, you will be admitted as a new major to the school or college.

Revised: 08/26/14