Dealing With Non-Academic Problems

It can be difficulty or impossible to perform at your best academically when you are feeling stress from non-academic problems so it is important to deal with such problems before they get out of hand. The materials below list where help can be found.

Click on an item below to jump to the section for dealing with problems concerning:


Health Problems:

If you have to miss classes because of illness or injury contact your professors by phone or e-mail. Once you are ready to return to classes meet with your professors to formulate plans for handling the work that was missed. If the illness or injury is likely to prevent you from attending lectures or doing class work for and extended period of time see Dealing With a Crisis.

Student Health Services (SHS) is an outpatient clinic that is run by the University and staffed by registered nurses and a physician. The SHS is located on Bert Fish Dr. across from the Hollis Center, and is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. All students currently enrolled at Stetson (on-campus, commuter, part-time, and graduate students) are eligible for treatment. Students are seen on a walk-in basis by the nurse, but need an appointment to see the physician. Students will not be charged additional fees for visits to the SHS, but are charged for certain supplies, medications, and laboratory tests. Student medical records are treated with the confidentiality afforded by law and ethical standards. You may request that SHS provide verification that you visited the facilities, but the nature of your visit will not be released without your written permission.


Mental Health Concerns:

The Counseling Center provides individual and group counseling, consultation, outreach and emergency services. It also provides daily walk-in services and deals with issues such as relationships, stress, life choices, substance use, adjustment, family concerns, eating, learning, self-esteem, and others. The Counseling Center is located on Bert Fish Dr. next to Student Health Services and across from the Hollis Center. Counseling is confidential and does not become part of your University record.


Concerns About Spiritual Well-Being:

The University Chaplain supports the religious and spiritual needs of students, and provides counseling and pastoral care. The Office of the Chaplain is located at 345 E. Michigan Ave. across from the Gillespie Museum.

There are a number of student organizations with religious themes. For a list of these organizations see the most recent Connections: Campus Life Handbook.

Students are encouraged to become involved in the congregation or faith community of their choice in the DeLand area.


Dealing With Financial Problems:

Stetson University is committed to assisting students bridge the gap between their educational costs and what their families can contribute toward those costs.

The Office of Student Financial Planning, located in Griffith Hall, is tasked with the job of assisting students in obtaining financial aid in the form of grants, loans and student employment. The counselors in the Office of Student Financial Planning should be able to answer questions about your financial aid package, including questions about what level of academic achievement you must maintain in order to remain eligible for the aid. They can also assist in dealing with changes in your family's financial resources.

The Bursar's Office, located on the ground floor in Elizabeth Hall, is the office that actually handles the money and bookkeeping when you pay tuition and fees. Things can get a little confusing because you are paying one portion of your tuition and fees while various sources of financial aid may be paying other portions. If a problem arises, it may be necessary to visit both the Office of Student Financial Planning and the Bursar's Office to straighten things out.


Problems with Roommate or Life in a Residence Hall:

If you are having difficulties dealing with a roommate or some aspect of residential life there are a number of people you can go to for advice or conflict mediation. Resident Assistants (RAís) are undergraduate staff members who reside on the floors with residents in each building. Each residence hall has a Residence Hall Director (RHD) who is also an undergraduate staff member and who lives in the building. The Assistant Directors of Residential Life (ADís) are professional staff members who have offices on the second floor of the Carlton Union Building, and they live in the residence halls as well.

Revised: 05/25/12