The Innovation House Prize recognizes the most effective use of the facilities and tools at Innovation House by its members. During the spring, 2014 semester members are invited to compete for a prize by posting details of projects they have been working on at Innovation House during the 2013-2014 academic year to the Innovation House blog. Postings meeting the requirements for the prize will be eligible for one of four $100 awards. The prizes will be announced at an Innovation House reception during the Stetson Showcase on April 15, 2014.
- A submission must represent one or more projects with a substantial amount of work completed at Innovation House during the 2013-2014 academic year. Submissions must come from student members of Innovation House.
- A submission consists of two to four postings on the Innovation House blog describing and illustrating the project(s). Each posting must be at least 250 words and include at least two pictures or diagrams. The first posting must be completed between January 13, 2014, and February 17th, 2014. At least one posting must be completed after March 10th. The deadline for all postings constituting a submission is April 7, 2014. Each posting that is part of a submission must have the “IH Prize 2014” category checked.
- While the prize will be awarded based on the postings to the Innovation House blog, the physical components of the submission will be examined by one of the judges to verify the claims made about them in the postings.
- The postings that comprise a submission should address the following:
A. What was the purpose, intent, or inspiration of the project(s)?
B. How does it build on the work of others? (links are appropriate here)
C. What are the original aspects of your project?
D. What were the materials used and what was the process of construction?
E. What set-backs, failures, or dead-ends did you encounter?
F. How does the final version operate and how well does it meet your original goals?
G. What improvements or enhancements could be developed in the future?
- Kathryn Neel, Sr. Business Analyst/Data Scientist at Channel Intelligence
- Gary Starkweather, Creator of the laser printer
- Bill Ball, Stetson faculty member and creator of Innovation House
Criteria for Judging
30% Completion of the requirements for submissions
20% Effective use of Innovation House & its equipment
25% Originality and innovativeness of the project(s)
25% Quality of the writing in the submission posts
To submit a posting to the Innovation House blog, log in with your Stetson ID and password at: http://www2.stetson.edu/innovation/wp-login.php.
Send all questions about the prize to Bill Ball at firstname.lastname@example.org