If you are using a Macintosh computer and Netscape, it is very easy to get Cyrillic fonts working for you. Just follow the simple instructions below. If you are not using Netscape on a Macintosh, the task is somewhat more complicated. You might find useful information if you pursue the links at the following address: http://www.stetson.edu/~russian/resource.html
Cyrillic for the Mac
Step A: Download the fonts
Step B: Unstuff and install the fonts in your System
Step C: Set the User-Defined option in your Netscape for Cyrillic
- Step B: 1. If your Netscape has not already debinhexxed and unstuffed your files, do so. Sutffit Expander is a standard utility for this.
- 2. Open each folder, ERKurier and ERUnivers, and drop the suitcases into your System Folder
- Step C: 1. With Netscape running, choose "General Preferences" from the popup menu under "Options" on the menu bar.
- 2. Choose "Fonts"
- 3. In the "For the Encoding" space, select "User-Defined"
- 4. In the "Use the Proportional Font" space, select "ERUniversKOI8" (click on the arrow to see popup menu).
- 5. In the "Use the Fixed Font" space, select "ERKurierKOI8".
- 6. Set sizes to desired number (probably 12).
- 7. Close window by clicking OK.
- Step D: When a KOI8 document appears on your screen (in numerous strange symbols), you can read it in Cyrillic by selecting "User-Defined" from the popup menu under "Document Encoding" which is on the popup menu under "Options" on the menu bar above.