Kara Turner

Q: What did you do after graduation and what are you doing now?

Following graduation [in 2007], I moved back to my home state and began working in public relations/communications for the State of Maryland. I missed acting, so I started auditioning for local theatre productions in Baltimore. I’ve been acting in at least one show a year, since then.

I currently serve as the Deputy Director of Communications for Maryland’s Governor, Martin O’Malley.

Q: Did you ever see yourself doing what you are doing now when you took your first Theatre Arts course @ Stetson?

No, never. I wanted to work professionally in theatre and/or the arts, but life happened and I’m now working in government. Participating in local theatre adds balance to my life.

Q: What advice do you have for someone taking their first course right now?

Study what you love. Since graduation, I’ve worked side-by-side with colleagues who have degrees in politics, business, and law. My theatre arts background sets me apart and allows me to look at things through a creative lens that is an asset to countless careers.

Also, embrace your major and learn everything that you can. I entered the program wanting to be an actress, but left with an affinity for stagecraft and special effects makeup. Allow yourself to try new things.

Q: What’s the best thing you learned studying Theatre Arts @ Stetson?

Through trial and error, I learned to manage my time and set personal priorities. Theatre is demanding on your schedule and as a student, it can be challenging to juggle memorizing lines, working part-time, and writing papers for classes outside of your major. Theatre arts students realize that when you are not prepared, you let down your entire cast and crew. Setting personal deadlines and goals helped me stay focused at Stetson, and developed skills that I continue to use today.

turner2014

test2

Spring 2022 AUDITIONS!

Stetson University Theatre Arts Program welcomes you to the Spring 2022 semester! Join us for auditions in the Secon...

The Way Things Were

Stetson University Theatre Arts presents “The Way Things Were, A virtual retrospective of first-hand accounts of Stet...

The Past is Prologue

Welcome to The Past is Prologue. This past year has felt unlike any other in so many ways.  When faced with the...