Jasmine Ramos

My name is Jasmine Ramos and I am currently in my senior year at Stetson University.

My medium of choice is oil paints and my current subject of choice are water guns. I only learned how to use oil paints in my second year here with the help of Professor Gary Bolding. They produce such vibrant colors and their smoothness and ability to blend allow me to create images of lifelike illusion. Each step of my painting process is tedious, delicate, and time-consuming, but the results always make it worth it. I draw a lot of my inspiration from the subject matter and colors depicted in Contemporary and Pop Art and from artists such as Jeff Koons and Damien Hirst.

Q: What are your plans for graduation/career?

After I graduate I’d like to take a year off from school to develop a portfolio to use for applying to grad schools so that I can eventually get a Masters of Fine Art. With that, I’d like to be able to find a full-time position at a museum.

Q: Did you ever see yourself doing what you are doing now when you first started at Stetson?

When I first started at Stetson I had no idea where I was going to end up. My major was undecided and I was more than a little scared. After a semester all I knew was that I wanted to give being an art major a shot. It would have been amazing to know how much confidence I was going to gain in myself and my art along the way.

Q: What advice do you have for someone taking their first course right now?

My advice for students taking their first art course is to listen to critiques. This isn’t the time to try to stick to a certain style or your way of doing things. It’s a safe place to challenge yourself and view yourself as a blank canvas. If you allow yourself to be open and take critiques seriously you’ll see yourself become a more skilled and well-rounded artist.

Q: What’s the best thing you’ve learned at Stetson?

I’ve learned so much at Stetson. The best thing I’ve learned here has less to do with my major and more to do with me as a person. I’ve learned that there are people in this world that really care about your success and you as an individual.

test2

Visit the Fresh As Fruit Gallery

The Fresh As Fruit Gallery, led by Stetson digital arts professor Madison Creech, her husband (and maker of delicious T...

Digital Arts and Studio Art Class of 2020 Launch Online Exhibition

Generational Shift 2020.  This exhibition represents the culmination of a year (or more) of work on senior proj...

Undergraduate Juried Arts Exhibition 2018

Designed to celebrate students' creativity and artistic expression, the opening reception of the annual Juried Arts Exhi...