The duPont-Ball Library’s Circulation Department is seeking candidates who are reliable and detail-oriented with excellent customer service skills. Incumbents are expected to develop a firm understanding of the Library of Congress (LoC) classification system. The incumbent will occasionally engage in light physical exertion when performing stacks maintenance tasks.
CLERICAL ASSISTANT: CIRCULATION DEPARTMENT
Under the direct supervision of the Circulation Supervisor, the Circulation Assistant will assist with a variety of circulation, stacks maintenance, and housekeeping tasks.
- Assist patrons with basic reference and catalog questions, referring more complex questions to a research librarian or other staff member
- Handle circulation-related transactions, such as charging, discharging, renewing library materials, and putting books on hold. Check that incoming/outgoing equipment kits are in proper working order and contain all included components
- Assist with opening and closing procedures
- Handle routine maintenance and troubleshooting for library printers and desktops
- Answer the front desk telephone line
- Learn (training provided) and regularly utilize Library of Congress call number system
- Shelve books and maintain proper order of collection by shelf reading (ensuring items are filed correctly by their Library of Congress call number)
- Assist with stacks projects, including taking inventory, shifting books to make room for collection development, and processing withdrawn books
- Maintain upkeep of the library by assisting with general housekeeping duties. Monitor activity of library users in the building and report violations of University community standards to a supervisor
- Complete other assignments as directed by a supervisor
- Current Stetson student in good academic standing
- Commitment to adhere to an established work schedule and communicate regularly with management using Outlook and Microsoft Teams
- Assistants must consent to uphold confidentiality of patron library records and other protected information
- Ability to pay attention to detail and work through distractions
- Ability to lift/push up to 30 pounds
- Must provide at minimum 15 hours of weekly availability. Must give availability for at least one of the following: Saturdays, Sunday mornings, two weekly opening (8 am start time) shifts per week
- Proficiency using Windows-based operating systems and Stetson portal environments
- Basic knowledge of office equipment, such as printers and scanners
- Previous experience working in a library or a customer service setting is highly preferred, but not required
- Friendly personality and strong people people skills are a plus!
- Positions available year-round. Circulation assistants can expect to be scheduled around 10 hours per week
- Flexible schedule (supervisor will work with your class schedule, exam prep, and University holidays)
- Become a better library user through hands-on training and experience!
- Pay: $8.60/hour
- Circulation assistant will report to supervisor on duty
Applications are reviewed upon the beginning of each semester and during times of staffing need. Complete an application today!
If you have any further questions, you may email Dani Pleines at [email protected]