Stetson University in the News, March 19-25, 2021
• Washington García, DMA, was featured in Yahoo Finance, Chron.com, SFGate, SeattlePI.com, San Antonio Express-News and dozens other outlets in the article, “Stetson University Selects Pianist Washington García as First Latin-American Dean of the School of Music,” on March 25.
• The Roland George Investments Program (RGIP) was featured in the Arizona Republic, SeattlePI.com, Chron.com and more than a dozen other outlets after the team won 1st and 3rd place in the CFA Institute Research Challenge. Associate Professor of Finance and interim Director of the Roland and Sarah George Investments Institute Matthew Hurst, PhD, was quoted in the story.
• Stuart Michelson, PhD, Roland and Sarah George professor of Finance and Chair of Finance, was quoted in the U.S. News & World Report article, “The Difference Between ETFs and Mutual Funds,” on March 18. Michelson was also quoted in the March 23 U.S. News & World Report article, “7 Best Schwab Funds for Retirement.”
• The tuition costs at Stetson were mentioned in a Florida Politics article entitled, “New College ranked among the best value liberal arts colleges in the nation,” on March 21.
• Associate Professor of Management and Chair of Management John Tichenor, PhD, was featured in “The Stakeholder Podcast” on March 8. Tichenor had a conversation with Ed Freeman, the “father of stakeholder theory,” about the challenges and rewards of teaching undergraduate business ethics.
• Associate Professor of Accounting Valrie Chambers, PhD, was quoted in a Forbes Advisor piece entitled, “How Long Should You Keep Tax Records?” on March 23. “When it is feasible, scan documents, store and back them up,” Chambers said. “Dispose of the paper copy at will, as long as it’s not an original deed, title, valuation or original investment paperwork. Keep those (e-) documents secure.”
• Professor of Psychology Christopher Ferguson, PhD, was interviewed on March 26 for an AM 560: The Answer (a Chicago-based radio station) segment on mass shootings in the U.S. Ferguson was also quoted in a March 18 KPLA-FM (a Missouri-based Cumulus Media radio station) segment on violent video games and their effect on mental health.
• Associate Professor of Environmental Science and Studies Jason Evans, PhD, was featured in the Climate Change Business Journal Q1 issue in the article, “Local Investment in Climate Change Adaptation & Resilience Increases Influence of the Institute for Water and Environmental Resilience and Stetson University.”
• Professor of Environmental Science and Studies Wendy Anderson, PhD, was quoted in the West Volusia Beacon article, “Where have all the gopher tortoises gone?” on March 25.
• Youth String Program Director Sophia Lassiter was mentioned in the Daytona Beach News-Journal article, “Around Town: Concert, Strike it Rich, road races and more,” on March 25.
• Adjunct Professor of Environmental Science and Geography David Griffis was featured in the Hometown News Volusia article, “Big festival weekend in DeLand,” on March 25.
• Retired Lt. Col. Oakland McCulloch, recruiting operations officer for Army ROTC at Stetson, was featured in a Hometown News Volusia article titled, “A leader writes for leaders in DeLand,” on March 25.
• Stetson was mentioned in the Hometown News Volusia article, “Birds celebrate big supporter’s 60th year in West Volusia,” on March 25. West Volusia Audubon is currently attempting to set up a chapter at Stetson.
• Lexie Mucci was featured on Hamilton.edu in the article, “Mucci Joins DM as LGBTQIA+ Identity Support Specialist,” on March 22. Mucci recently began work with the Days-Massolo Center.
• Davis Mallory was featured in the Thrive Global article, “Davis Mallory: ‘Contrary to some beliefs you don’t have to copyright your music to have it be copy-written protected,’ ” on March 19. Mallory is an MTV’s Real World 2006 alumnus working in the music industry.