Stetson University in the News, Jan. 12-18, 2018
Hari Pulapaka, Ph.D., associate professor of mathematics, was featured in the article, “DeLand’s Cress Restaurant Spotlights Trump Immigration Slur With Event,” posted by The Daytona Beach News-Journal Jan. 17.
- K.C. Ma, Ph.D., professor of finance at Stetson, was quoted in the article, “Millennials Are Saving Early for Retirement, Thanks to the Great Recession.” Ma said, “With the historically high student debt on their backs, Millennials really have to plan for their retirement earlier than ever before,” posted by TheStreet Jan. 17.
- The Jan. 12 PRNewswire ran the article, “Stetson Again Offers Free Will Service for Veterans Aged 60 or Older.”
- Clay Henderson, executive director of Stetson University’s Institute of Water and Environmental Resilience, and Jason Evans, Stetson University professor of environmental science and studies, were mentioned in the article, “New Smyrna Beach Asks Residents to Chart Course for Future in Resiliency Workshops,” posted by The Daytona Beach News-Journal Jan. 13.
Christopher Ferguson, Ph.D., professor at psychology at Stetson, was mentioned in the article, “Kids Glued to Smartphones, Video Games Could Signal Addiction,” posted by Yahoo Finance Jan. 17.
- Stetson University was mentioned in the article, “Company’s Growth Reflects Strength of Area Housing Market,” posted by The Daytona Beach News-Journal Jan. 13.
- Nicole Grebosz, educator and graduate of Stetson University, was covered in the article, “From Student to Educator, Longtime Volusia Resident Honored as Teacher of the Year,” posted by The Daytona Beach News-Journal Jan. 12.
- Stetson University was mentioned in the article, “Dogged by Irma, ‘Angels’ Battle to Get Back to Normal,” posted by The West Volusia Beacon Online Jan. 18.
- The Jan. 15 Tampa Bay Times reported that Law Professor Judith Scully is moderating the panel, “Reclaiming Our Youth: Creating Solutions for Juvenile Justice.”
- Law Professor Ciara Torres-Spelliscy wrote the article, “President Donald Oprah,” for the Brennan Center of Justice. Professor Torres-Spelliscy was quoted in the Jan. 16 States News Service article, “Report: Presidency Appears to Have Caused Trump’s Brand to Decline.” Professor Torres-Spelliscy was cited in the ElectionLawBlog, “Boycotting the President’s Brand: Commercial Reactions to Trump 2015-2017,” and “Campaign Finance, Free Speech, and Boycotts.”
- Law Professor Peter Lake was quoted in the ABA Journal article, “Campus sex assault investigations have become polarized and political.”
- Law Professor Rebecca Morgan wrote the Jan. 18 Elder Law Prof Blog, “Patient Dumping-By the Health Care Provider.” She wrote the Jan. 17 Elder Law Prof Blog, “FINRA FAQ for Elder Financial Exploitation.” Professor Morgan wrote the Jan. 16 Elder Law Prof Blog, “Of Those Boomers: Reaping the Impact of Loud Music.” Professor Morgan wrote the Jan. 15 Elder Law Prof Blog article, “Regenerative Medicine: The FDA.” Professor Morgan wrote the Jan. 12 Elder Law Prof Blog, “Federal Right to Try Legislation.” She also wrote the Jan. 11 Elder Law Prof Blog, “ER Visit Signals Underlying Issues?”
- Stetson University was briefly mentioned in the Maronda Homes blog post, “Salt Life, Beach Life, Maronda Homes Life,” posted Jan. 15.
- Stetson Law student Cymoril White was quoted and pictured in the Jan. 17 Gulfport Gabber article, “Gulfport Community Gathers for Day of Service.” Students Raymond James, Justin Bell of the Black Law Students Association were featured in the article and a photo as well.
- Erich Friedman, Ph.D., associate professor of mathematics, was mentioned in the Futility Closet article, “Et Tu?” posted Jan. 17.
- The National Jurist listed Stetson’s Granada program among the Most Unusual Law School Study Programs in the current issue. Highlights of the story also appear in Above the Law.
- The Jan. 18 Tampa Bay Reporter reported that Chris Hunter, running for District 12 in the Florida House of Representatives, teaches at Stetson.
- The Jan. 11 Tampa Bay Newswire reported that Law alumna Lynn Welter Sherman has been selected to the Board of Directors of the International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC) Florida Network for 2018, the organization announced earlier this month.
- The Jan. 13 Tallahassee Democrat mentioned that Law alumnus Joe G. Durrett has accepted the offer of partner at the law firm of McConnaughhay, Coonrod, Pope, Weaver & Stern, P.A.
- The Jan. 13 Vallejo Times-Herald reported that Law alumnus Matt Snyder will be the new assistant general manager at the Vallejo Admirals.
- The Jan. 14 Tampa Bay Times profiled Law alumna Judge Catherine Peek McEwen in the article, “Multi-Faceted Judge Cathy’s Reporter Past.”
- The Jan. 14 Tampa Bay Times and Jewish Press reported that former Law professor Elihu H. Berman has died.
- The Jan. 14 Florida Politics mentioned Law alumnus Jeremy Bailie in the article, “Not Just a Body of Water.”
- Stetson University alumnus James Pecar was covered in the article, “Macomb Educator Wins Lottery’s Excellence in Education Award,” posted by Macomb Daily Jan. 16.
- Law alumnus Chris Sprowls was quoted in the Jan. 16 Tampa Bay Times article, “In major shift, House bill would turn three USF universities into one.”