Stetson University in the News, Sept. 16-22, 2022
• Florida Trend quoted Stetson President Christopher F. Roellke, PhD; Elizabeth Skomp, PhD, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences; and Steven Smallpage, PhD, associate professor of Political Science, in the Sept. 19 article, “Stetson University Set to Launch Public Polling Center.” “Establishing a new polling center as part of Stetson’s existing Institute for Social Research is a natural extension of our university’s nationally recognized strength in political science studies,” Roellke said. “Our goal is to grow the center and eventually expand its focus to national politics and polling to join other leading opinion-based polling institutions in the U.S.”
• The Daytona Beach News-Journal quoted Professor Emeritus Grady Ballenger, PhD, and Rajni Shankar-Brown, PhD, professor and Jessie Ball duPont Endowed Chair of Social Justice Education, in the Sept. 19 story, “Volusia Remembers Coalition holds ceremony memorializing 2 Black men, victims of 1896 lynching.” “Thank you all for being here for this solemn ceremony mourning the deaths and lifting up the humanity of these two Black men,” said Ballenger, co-chair of Volusia Remembers. “This is painful work for all of us, and we acknowledge that it is especially hard for those who are white, whose ancestors were white in 1896. But it’s even harder for those whose ancestors were Black.” Shankar-Brown also read a poem she wrote to honor Harris and Johnson.
• Spectrum News 13 also reported on the ceremony and interviewed Shankar-Brown in its Sept. 17 broadcast segment, “Honoring the Lives of Lynching Victims.” The Daytona Beach News-Journal previewed the ceremony in the Sept. 16 story, “Osteen ceremony will recognize the lynchings of two local Black men in 1896.”
• The Tampa Bay Times, Yahoo News, Denver Gazette, Lawton Constitution, ArcaMax and VNExplorer quoted Law professor Louis Virelli in the Sept. 16 story, “Ousted Hillsborough prosecutor vs. DeSantis in court Monday. What could happen?”
• The Augusta Free Press quoted Alan Green, PhD, associate professor and chair of Economics, in the Sept. 16 story, “On the rise: Where is inflation increasing the most and least in the United States?”
• The West Volusia Beacon cited Stetson in the Sept. 18 story, “Stetson University: One of best 388 colleges in the US.” The West Volusia Beacon cited Jeremy Posadas, PhD, the new Hal S. Marchman Chair of Civic and Social Responsibility, in the Sept. 20 story, “Class Notes.”
• WTVT-TV quoted Kelly Smith, PhD, assistant professor of Political Science, in the Sept. 22 broadcast segment, “Democrats focus on abortion in campaign ads.” Fox 35 quoted Smith in the Sept. 22 broadcast segment, “Election ads focused on key issues.”
• ABC Action News quoted Law professor Louis Virelli in a Sept. 19 broadcast segment exploring what may come next in ousted State Attorney General Andrew Warren’s lawsuit against Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.
• WFLA/News Channel 8 interviewed Law professor Paul Boudreaux in the Sept. 19 broadcast segment, “Warren, DeSantis battle in court.”
• Fox 13 Tampa Bay interviewed alumnus and adjunct Law professor Jay Wolfson as part of a Sept. 19 broadcast segment on President Biden’s recent comments on the pandemic.
• HappeningNext cited Sam Houston, PhD, assistant professor of Religious Studies, in the Sept. 16 post, “Sunday Service.”
• HappeningNext also cited Stetson in the Sept. 21 post, “Arts Entrepreneurship Talk with Najee Dorsey | Museum of Art – DeLand.”
• PressReleasePoint cited Stetson in the Sept. 15 post, “The Jacksonville Region is Committed to Developing Tomorrow’s Workforce.”
• Black Art in America cited Stetson in the Sept. 15 post, “Najee Dorsey: Southern Crossroads.”
• The Orlando Business Journal cited Stetson in the Sept. 15 story, “Barnie’s Coffee & Tea plans new locations, Winter Park cafe renovations.”
• The Sarasota News Leader cited Stetson College of Law in the Sept. 15 story, “Oral arguments in Avenue B and C appeal scheduled for Nov. 2, in-person, in Tampa.”
• Travel and Tour World cited Stetson in the Sept. 16 story, “With summer season, officials of West Volusia tourism are excited.”
• Hometown News cited Stetson’s Hand Art Center and the Gillespie Museum in the Sept. 15 post, “Volusia Art Notes.”
• Hometown News also cited Stetson’s School of Music and Stetson Theatre Arts in the Sept. 15 post, “Out & About.” The article mentioned Tammara Phillips, DM, visiting assistant professor of Music, flute; Dione Chandler, adjunct faculty, oboe; and Kristie Born, D.MA, visiting lecturer.
• Florida Politics cited Stetson Law in the Sept. 19 story, “FIU edges UF for highest Bar Exam passage rate among law grads.” Bar Professors’ Blog also cited Stetson Law in the Sept. 19 post, “Florida, UBE, California, New York, MBE, Texas Bar Exams.”
• Blogarama cited Boyd Jones, DMA, university organist and John E. and Aliese Price Professor of Organ, in the Sept. 20 post, “The Sacred Music of Schubert.”
• Blogarama also cited Rajni Shankar-Brown, PhD, professor and Jessie Ball duPont Endowed Chair of Social Justice Education, in the Sept. 20 post, “Dr. Rajni Shankar-Brown to speak on trauma and healing.”
• Southern Sentinel published the Sept. 21 story, “Apartment decorating on a budget,” by alumna Lauren Gay and featuring her daughter, Stetson student Bella Steiert.
• The Orlando Sentinel cited Stetson’s Second String Theater in the Sept. 22 story, “Theater & Dance listings: Sept. 23-29.”
• FlaglerLive cited Stetson and Stetson Law in the Sept. 11 story, “Stetson Ranked in Top 5 Regional Universities by U.S. News & World Report.”
• The National Jurist publication preLaw cited Stetson Law in its Back to School 2022 issue in the stories, “Are law schools too liberal?” and “UC Hastings’ years of domination.”
• Legal Writing Prof Blog cited Law professors Brooke Bowman and Kristen Adams in the Sept. 11 post, “Just Published! The Scribes Manual for Law Review Editors.”
• Broadway World cited alumna Lulu Picart in the Sept. 16 post, “Meet the Cast of 1776, Beginning Previews Tonight!”
• Trenam Law and Tampa Bay Newswire cited Law alumna Maggie Knaust and Law alumnus Bradley A. Muhs in the Sept. 16 post, “Trenam Elects Three Attorneys to Shareholder.”
• The Daytona Beach News-Journal cited alumnus Rob Bridger in the Sept. 16 story, “Ormond Beach mayoral race: Mayor Bill Partington faces new challenge from Rob Bridger.”
• OurTownFla.com cited alumnus Martin Macyszyn in the Sept. 5 story, “Lucas, Macyzyn & Dyer Law Firm Ribbon Cutting Celebration, in Spring Hill.”
• CNY, CW39 Houston, texomashomepage.com and more than 60 other media outlets featured Law alumna Beth Bourdon in the Sept. 17 story, “How I got my student loans forgiven: Public defender in Florida.”
• The Jacksonville Daily Record cited Law alumnus Robert Riegel in the Sept. 19 post, “Lufkin, Riegel join Lippes Mathias law firm.”
• The Rockland/Westchester Journal News quoted alumna Maria Mahoney in the Sept. 22 story, “Players driving vans, mismatched uniforms, unpaid coaches: Life before Title IX.”
• The Winter Haven Sun profiled law alumnus Kevin Albaum in the Sept. 8 story, “Chamber Shines Light on Emerging Polk Stars.”