Ellen Smittle

Q: What are you doing after graduation?

After graduating [in 2015] from Stetson University, I moved to New York City in preparation for graduate school in the fall. I will be attending New York University and pursuing a master’s degree in Drama Therapy. After moving to the city, I wanted to find a steady job for the summer that I could get a lot of hours and save up money for graduate school, so I am working at The Gap until school starts in September.

After graduate school, I hope to pass my licensing exam to become a Licensed Creative Arts Therapist and a Registered Drama Therapist. After i become licensed, I hope to start my own theatre company that specifically caters to the special needs community by offering drama therapy sessions, theatre classes, and sensory friendly performances.

Q: Did you ever see yourself doing what you are doing now when you took your first Theatre Arts course @ Stetson?

I always hoped that I would become a Drama Therapist when I was a freshmen at Stetson University, but I was unsure of how to go about obtaining certification at that point in time. As a double major with Theatre Arts and Psychology, I knew I would need to attend graduate school in order to gain my Creative Arts Therapist License and Drama Therapist Certification, but it wasn’t until I took Dr. Schmitt’s Children’s Theatre course in my junior year that I realized that I wanted to eventually create my own children’s theatre that specifically catered to the special needs community. During a project in which we had to create our own children’s theatre, with a mission statement and complete show season, I realized that I could make my project into a reality. At that point, I knew that I did not want to give up my love of performing and involvement with theatre by becoming a psychologist, but I also knew that I wanted to use the skills and talents that I have to help the Special Needs Community. Ultimately, I came up with the idea for a theatre company that would combine my love of theatre with my passion to give back by creating a children’s theatre that will provide special needs families and communities with drama therapy, theatre classes, and sensory friendly entertainment. During my time at Stetson, Dr. Schmitt, Dr. Medlin, William Elliott, and Krista Franco gave me a lot of advice about my graduate school options and how I could make my dream a reality. Additionally, the Theatre and Psychology professors were very helpful when it came time to apply and audition/interview for graduate school.

Q: What advice do you have for someone taking their first course right now?

Be involved! Taking your first class at stetson can be intimidating, but you have to get past that and really do what you’re passionate about. Make sure that you’re not only attending class, but participating in the discussions and building a relationship with your professors and classmates both inside and outside of the classroom. Meet knew people, try new things, and definitely go to workshop! I had never done any technical theatre work before attending Stetson, but by attending workshop, I met so many great people and gained a lot of new skills. By the end of my senior year I had designed lights for at least 3 shows, designed the set for 2 shows and stage managed countless productions. What you do while you’re in school will help build your resume and help you develop multiple skills that will ultimately help you to get amazing jobs in the future! So don’t be afraid, just dive in and don’t look back!

Q: What’s the best thing you learned studying Creative Arts @ Stetson?

Wow! I have learned so much from my experience at Stetson that it’s hard to choose one thing. I feel that I have not only grown as a student, but also as a person as a result of my experiences in college. I learned so much about myself during college, just by being involved, meeting new people, and trying new things. I guess that one of the best things that I learned is that no challenge is too great. Your professors and peers all want you to succeed, so they will push you to exceed the expectations that you have for yourself. And while that can be overwhelming and stressful, it is good for you and you will succeed eventually. Don’t be afraid to ask for help or advice along the way. Your professors are there to help you, train you, and push you. I definitely learned how to take criticism, look objectively at my work, and I learned to use that information in order to improve myself and my craft. I feel that the lessons that I have learned at Stetson have given me skills that will help me for the rest of my life.

[Photo credit: Keelyn Oxley Mitchell]

test2

Spring 2022 AUDITIONS!

Stetson University Theatre Arts Program welcomes you to the Spring 2022 semester! Join us for auditions in the Secon...

The Way Things Were

Stetson University Theatre Arts presents “The Way Things Were, A virtual retrospective of first-hand accounts of Stet...

The Past is Prologue

Welcome to The Past is Prologue. This past year has felt unlike any other in so many ways.  When faced with the...