Laine Weber-Callahan

My name is Laine Weber-Callahan. I am a senior at Stetson University, majoring in Studio Art and minoring in Communications & Media Studies. I am currently focusing on sculpture installation and painting. During my time as an art major, I have had the opportunity to explore a wide range of aesthetics, which has led me to find my own creative voice. In my current work, I focus on pattern, textiles, color, and repetition. I’ve become fascinated with the tactile experience of combining contrasting textures, while embracing the transition from growth to decay.

What are your plans after graduation?

After graduation, I plan to attend graduate school. I’m actually waiting to hear if I got in or not, so fingers crossed! Receiving my Masters in Fibers would be the perfect next step for me. Stetson has helped me build the artistic foundation for my future and I can’t wait to grow more as an artist and designer after graduation.

Did you ever see yourself doing what you’re doing now when you first started at Stetson?

I wasn’t quite sure where I would find myself in the Art Department at Stetson. I declared my major as Art right when I got here freshman year, but I was absolutely terrified because it was a lot more intimidating than I thought it would be. However, over time I found my home, and Stetson’s creative community has provided me with ongoing inspiration, technical skill, and a constant desire to create more beauty.

What advice do you have for someone taking their first course right now?

For students taking their first course right now, try to stay open-minded, embrace the unknown, take a ridiculous class, join a club, don’t be afraid to ask for help, and try not to take yourself too seriously! You will make some of the best memories of your life!

What’s the best thing you’ve learned at Stetson?

One of the most important things I’ve learned at Stetson is to stay true to who I am. I learned that in and out of the classroom in more ways than one. Try and be the best version of yourself and take advantage of who you really are!! Stetson is the perfect place to do that.

test2

Digital Arts and Studio Art Class of 2020 Launch Online Exhibition

Generational Shift 2020.  This exhibition represents the culmination of a year (or more) of work on senior proj...

Undergraduate Juried Arts Exhibition 2018

Designed to celebrate students' creativity and artistic expression, the opening reception of the annual Juried Arts Exhi...

Jenna Bolusky

Jenna Bolusky graduated in 2018 from Stetson University with a major in Studio Art. We recently asked her to share some ...