Stetson University In the News, Aug. 28-Sept. 3, 2015
• On Aug. 27, research by Chris Ferguson, Ph.D., associate professor and chair of Psychology, on the dangers of academic “consensus” was featured on Minding the Campus.
• Professor Ferguson’s commentary on criminals broadcasting their crimes on social media is featured in the top story “Social media gives attention-seeking killers dangerous new platform” on CBS12 News, KFDM 6, Capital Bay, and more than 20 other media outlets on Aug. 28.
• Also, on SkyNews-U.K. National, Aug. 17, Psychology Professor Chris Ferguson was interviewed via Skype, regarding his research which draws no direct correlation between watching violent video games and displaying violent behavior.
• The Aug. 28 Tampa Bay Times quotes Law Professor Paul Boudreaux in the article “Residents’ docks reveal ownership quirk that could require St. Petersburg referendum.”
• News Channel 8 WFLA-TV featured Law Professor Roberta Flowers’s comments on the ethics of withholding video evidence, in a program that aired Aug. 31.
• On Aug. 25, Law Professor Theresa Pulley-Radwan was quoted by the Tampa Bay Times in an article titled “Lawsuit alleges Bill Edwards drained mortgage company.”
• On Aug. 27, Law Professor Darryl C. Wilson was quoted by the Florida Times-Union and InsuranceNewsNet in the article, “Golf course owner must pay despite damage by the state; Liability dispute after bulldozer fighting fire damages pump system.”
• Professor of Family Enterprise Greg McCann, J.D., was quoted in the Orlando Business Journal and World News articles on Aug. 28, talking about the relations between older and younger generations in family-run businesses.
• On Aug. 29, Stetson head coach Roger Hughes was quoted in the Buffalo News article “Relentless drive makes UB’s Leipold a master builder.”
• The Daytona Beach News-Journal, Aug. 28, features the commentary on Carl North’s experiences during the Battle of the Bulge, by Eric Kurlander, Ph.D., professor of modern European history.
• WOFL-ORD (Fox-35), Sept. 1, reports on “What makes this residence hall so unique for the 85 Stetson students who live there,” about using two floors of the former Clarion Hotel, and sharing it with senior citizens who live on the floors below them. Also picked up by WOGX (FOX) and Central Florida’s TV-27.
Alumni in the News
• Stetson Law alumnus and member of the Stetson University College of Law Board of Overseers, Robin Doyle, has been approved as a Dispute Resolution Arbitrator through the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), as reported by Naples Daily News on Aug. 27.
• On Aug. 29, Stetson Law graduate Mark Bentley, P.A, announced that his firm’s website, www.MarkBentleyPA.com, has recently been revamped to further improve its service quality, as reported in PR.com and Online PR Media.
• On Aug. 29, as reported by PR.com, Contacto Latino News, and BizWire Express, Stetson alumnus Mark J. Rose has been elected to the Florida Defense Lawyers Association (FDLA) Board of Directors and selected as Board Liaison for the FDLA Auto/Transportation Committee.
• On Aug. 31, Murray B. Silverstein, a Stetson graduate and prior recipient of the Stetson University Wm. Reece Smith, Jr. Public Service Award for pro bono service was reappointed by Florida Supreme Court to Florida Courts Technology Commission, as reported by KLKN-TV, KCEN-TV,WLTZ-TV, and over 50 other news outlets.
• Shorecrest Preparatory School welcomes Stetson University alumna Lisa Wylie as the new director of Project Management/Technology for Business Operations, as published by Tampa Bay Newswire on Aug. 29.
• Stetson graduate and adjunct English professor Kait Ballenger’s newest addition to her Execution Underground Series, Midnight Hunter, was released on Sept. 1.
• On Sept. 2, Stetson graduate Casey B. Weade was featured in a CPA Practice Advisor article discussing how to avoid hidden retirement investment fees.
• Bloomberg Business, KBCD, Fox 14 News, and over 90 other news outlets reported on Sept. 2 Nucor’s announcement on the addition of Stetson graduate Laurette Koellner to the Nucor Board of Directors.
• On Aug. 31, Stetson Law alumnus Robert Beach was featured in article by the ABA Journal and the Tampa Bay Times titled “Retired judge who helped set swim record at 85 makes ‘best law decisions’ in the pool.”
• According to a Sept. 1 news release from Gray Robinson, Law alumna Kristin Shusko has been named to Leadership Tampa Bay’s Class of 2016.