Stetson University In the News, Sept. 25-Oct. 1
- Discussion regarding the construction of the Athens Commons II, perceived by many DeLand residents as Stetson’s planned, off-campus dorm, was featured in the Daytona Beach News-Journal on Sept. 28. It was followed up by a letter to the editor from President Wendy Libby on Sept. 30.
- On Sept. 26, Stetson students were featured on WFTV-TV and com regarding their experiences traveling north to see Pope Francis in Philadelphia.
- News of the National Clearinghouse for Science Technology and the Law getting a grant to start a new forensics program has run across the national wire and in news outlets in Tampa Bay including Bay News 9 and WMNF News.
- Valrie Chambers, CPA, Ph.D., associate professor of Accounting, published an article on cyber liability insurance in AICPA Insights on Sept. 25.
- The Sept. 28 Daily Single quotes Ellen Podgor, professor of law, in the story, “Could the Department of Justice Cut Teams from the Big Ten Conference with Fraud Law?”
- The Sept. 27 Harvard Crimson quotes Peter Lake, professor of law, in the article, “Admissions Officers Prepare for Questions on Sexual Assault.” Professor Lake is quoted in the Sept. 25 Yale Daily Newsarticle, “Survey points to high rates of sexual assault in Ivy League.” Professor Lake is quoted in the Sept. 23 Chronicle of Higher Education article, “One Hazing Death, Dozens of Charges, and Questions About Making a Frat Come Clean.”
- News of Stetson’s environmental initiatives led by Royal Gardner and Lance Long, professors of law, is featured in the Environmental and Land Use Law Section Reporter.
- Lance Long, professor of law, is quoted in the Sept. 27 Tampa Tribune article, “Tampa trio in DUI setup casts light on legal discipline.”
Alumni in the News
- Chelsea Geeting will perform will compete in the Gerda Lissner International Lieder/Song Competition in New York on Oct. 1, according to The Advocate.
- According to the Sept. 27 SouthCoast Today, Law LL.M. alumnus Brandon Walecka has been named a Rising Star.
- The Sept. 25 Tampa Bay Times reports that Law alumna Jacqueline Prats has been named an associate at Trenam Law.
- Stetson alumna Brenda Brooks was featured in an article in Naples News on Sept. 25.
- On Sept. 25, Berks-Mont News published an article featuring Stetson alumna Katie Humphrey and her new, purpose-based novel, Elizabeth Hazel The Day of Desires.
- David P. Carter’s letter to the editor on “Florida Law is a Different Animal” has been published in the Sept. 23 Tampa Bay Times.