Stetson University in the News, Aug. 4-10
- Stetson University was featured in the article, “BestCollegeReviews.org Releases Selections for Top Online Master’s Degrees in Accounting.” According to the article, Stetson’s Online Master of Accountancy Degree was named one of the top online Master’s Degrees in Accounting for 2017-2018, posted by Profit Quotes, PR Newswire – Online and several other outlets Aug. 9.
- The Aug. 4 World News, Stars and Stripes and Targeted News Service reported that Law Professor Michael Allen has been confirmed by the Senate as a judge with the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims in Washington, D.C.
- Law alumnus James Byrne, new general counsel of the Department of Veterans Affairs, was profiled in the Aug. 8 Bloomberg Law story, “Lockheed Martin Privacy Lawyer Takes Government Post.”
Julia Nesheiwat, Ph.D., graduate of Stetson University and Acting Special Presidential Envoy for Hostage Affairs, was chosen as the Keynote Speaker for Stetson University’s Convocation ceremony on Aug. 23, according to the article, “Stetson University Announces Julia Nesheiwat as Convocation Keynote Speaker,” posted by Capital Soup Aug. 9.
- K.C. Ma, Ph.D., professor of finance at Stetson University, was quoted in the article, “Here Are the Top Reasons Why Smart Beta ETFs Should Be in Your Portfolio.” Ma said, “It is always better to buy a share of a smart beta ETF which owns thousands of stocks then to buy a small fraction of one share for each of the thousands of stocks,” posted by TheStreet July 27.
- Eric Kurlander, Ph.D., professor of history at Stetson University, was featured in the article, “Turns Out ‘Raiders’ Was Right.” The article discusses “Hitler’s Monsters: A Supernatural History of the Third Reich,” Kurlander’s book about the “fringe movements and lunatic beliefs that swept through Germany in the late 19th and early 20th centuries,” posted by The Daily Herald, Daily Republic Online and several other outlets Aug. 6.
- Christopher Ferguson, Ph.D., professor of psychology at Stetson University, was quoted in the article, “Can Video Games Cost You Gray Matter?” Ferguson said, “Given that there are so many areas in the brain, it stands to reason that, by chance alone, some of these areas may randomly differ between any two groups of people,” posted by U.S. News & World Report and several other outlets Aug. 7.
K.C. Ma, Ph.D., professor of finance at Stetson University, was quoted in the article, “Netflix Stock Has Increased in Value By 5,110% Since Adding Streaming.” According to the article, Netflix’s revenue reflects its “superior pricing power over fierce competition from Amazon, Hulu, YouTube Red and Time Warner’s HBO,” posted by Streaming Observer Online Aug. 8.
- The Aug. 5 Waco Tribune-Herald featured Law Professor Peter Lake in the article, “Q&A: Compliance Expert Peter Lake Talks Title IX on Campuses and the Era of Regulation.” The Aug. 3 Tampa Bay Times quoted Lake in the article, “Why Florida Schools Might Steer Clear of Trouble if Trump Shakes Up Affirmative Action.”
- Law Professor Ciara Torres-Spelliscy wrote the Brennan Center for Justice article, “Trump Already Profiting From 2020 Campaign,” posted Aug. 7.
- Law Professor Ann Picard was quoted regarding forced assimilation of Native Americans in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette article, “Matter of Honor,” posted Aug. 9.
- Charles J. Scriven, graduate of Stetson University, wrote the Tallahassee Democrat article, “FAMU Still Hesitating on President Decision.” According to the article, “the Board of Trustees of Florida A&M University has been notably hesitant in taking decisive steps toward selecting a replacement for the ousted president of FAMU,” posted Aug. 7.
- Law Professor Rebecca Morgan wrote the Aug. 7 Elder Law Prof Blog, “New Report on LGBT Elders.” She also wrote the article, “Free Webinar: In-Kind Support & Maintenance,” for the Aug. 6 Elder Law Prof Blog. She wrote the Aug. 5 Elder Law Prof Blog, “Free Webinar: Bankruptcy & Elders.” Morgan wrote the Aug. 4 Elder Law Prof Blog, “The New Uniform Guardianship Act.” She wrote the Aug. 8 Elder Law Prof Blog, “Senate Passes Elder Abuse Prevention and Prosecution Act.”
- Elaine Dobson Lerner, former Stetson University student, was featured in the article, “End of an Era: After 37 Years of Running Bellini’s, Family Says Goodbye as New Owner Takes Over DeLand Eatery,” posted by The West Volusia Beacon Aug. 9.
- Law alumnus adjunct Dr. Jay Wolfson was interviewed for the ABC Action News story, “Report Descrbes What Patients Went Through During Liposuctions by Fake Doctor.”
- Valerie Hiller, Stetson graduate, was awarded Stetson University’s Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award. Hiller said, “I am honored to receive the Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award and I am deeply humbled to know that I was nominated based on my character and commitment to serving the community,” posted by Milford Mirror Aug. 7.
- According to the Aug. 2 LaRue County Herald News, Law alumna Martha Sue French was sworn in to the State Bar of Georgia.
- Shelley Niswonger, graduate of Stetson University, was appointed to the position of principal at Sacred Heart Catholic School, according to the article, “Principals and Presidents: The New Wave of Catholic Educators,” posted by Diocese of Orlando Aug. 3.
- Ariel Blue, actress/singer and graduate of Stetson University, was featured in the article, “Actress and Singer Ariel Blue Shares Her Beauty Secrets,” posted by Sarasota Magazine – Online Aug. 9.
- Loretta Monroe Calvin, Stetson University alumna, was featured in the article, “Edible Peace Patch Project Expands Programs, Hires Executive Director.” According to the article, Calvin was named Interim Executive Director of the Edible Peace Patch Project, posted by Tampa Bay Newswire Aug. 3.
- Robert Redd, graduate of Stetson University and executive director of the New Smyrna Museum of History, was featured in US Official News for his discussion on “St. Augustine and the Civil War,” posted Aug. 3.
- The Aug. 4 Jax Daily Record reported that Law alumna Shelley Eckels is running for Duval County judge.
- Jason Mullens, Stetson University alumnus and chief human resources officer for Cetera Financial Group, was profiled by Plus Company Updates in the article, “Profile of Jason Mullens Chief Human Resources Officer of Cetera Financial Holdings, Inc.” posted Aug. 4.
- Law alumnus Nathan Bruemmer is the new director of ALSO Youth, according to the Aug. 4 Sarasota News Leader.
- Thomas C. McGeachy, graduate of Stetson University and principal of Ciminelli Real Estate Corporation, was profiled by Plus Company Updates in the article, “Profile of Thomas C. McGeachy, Principal of Ciminelli Real Estate Corporation,” posted Aug. 4.
- The Aug. 4 Plus Company Updates profiled Advanzeon Solutions Inc. President and Law alumnus Mark Heidt.
- Turner Kimbrough, former student at Stetson University, was profiled by Plus Company Updates in the article, “Profile of Turner Kimbriugh Senior Consultant of NCOP Strategic Partnership, Inc,” posted Aug. 5.
- The Aug. 5 mycci.net and Colorado Springs Gazette mentioned Law alumnus Stephen Atwater in a profile of his father, Steve Atwater, “Paul Klee: Dever Broncos Great Steve Atwater Should Join Terrell Davis in Pro Football Hall of Fame.“
- The Aug. 6 Times Union reported that Law alumnus John Ouimet died Aug. 4. The Aug. 4 Jasper Jottings Daily also reported on the death of Law alumnus John A. Ouimet.
- Tom Aiello, Stetson University alumnus and Managing Director at Alvares & Marsal Taxand, LLC, was profiled by Plus Company Updates in the article, “Profile of Tom Aiello Managing Director of A&M Holdings, LLC,” posted Aug. 7.
- The Aug. 7 Bloomington Pantagraph featured Law alumna Dawn E. Duggan in the article, “Ginzkey Law Office Welcomes Attorney.”
- Jane Kleeb, former student at Stetson University, was interviewed by The Nation in the article, “A Leader of the Keystone Opposition Talks About Building Progressive Coalitions in Red America,” posted by My Informs and other outlets Aug. 8.
- Mandi Titus, graduate of Stetson University, wrote the Travel Tips article, “Allegiant Airlines Inside Baggage Rules,” in which she describes the specific baggage requirements for Allegiant Airlines. She also wrote the Travel Tips articles, “Enterprise Requirements for Renting a Car” and “Coral Reefs & Injuries to People,” posted Aug. 9.