Stetson in the News: Sept. 15-21, 2023
• Television station WKMG News 6 and Star News Today featured business owner and sophomore Angelica Delgado in the Sept. 14 broadcast segment and online story “Young business owner offers a royal experience to kids in need.” “Ever since I was little, my mom always taught me it’s super important to give back to the community and it’s something I find joy in doing,” Delgado said.
• The Daytona Beach News-Journal featured Stetson and two university benefactors, the late Mary McMahan and her late husband, Richard McMahan, in the Sept. 14 story “Mary McMahan’s love of Stetson music lives on after her death with a $15.4 million gift.” The story quoted President Christopher F. Roellke, PhD, and Washington Garcia, DMA, Dean of the School of Music. “This is obviously a transformational gift for us, a large amount, but what’s beautiful about it is it not only preserves their legacy for the School of Music, but it nourishes their support for Volusia County residents, and we have about 300 currently attending Stetson,” Roellke said. Also, WFTV 9, Orlando Business Journal and University Business cited Stetson in the Sept. 18 story “Stetson University gets $15.4 million gift.” The website reimaginED cited the News-Journal story.
• South Florida Business Journal cited Stetson in the Sept. 18 post “South Florida universities rank among best in nation, according to US News & World Report.” WOFL Fox 35 and WOGX cited Stetson in the Sept. 18 broadcast segment “Best Regional Universities: South.” The South Florida Sun-Sentinel included Stetson in the Sept. 18 story “UF again tops Florida colleges in U.S. News rankings.” Also, The Orlando Sentinel covered Stetson in the Sept. 18 story “UF again tops Florida colleges in U.S. News rankings; UCF climbs 13 spots.” My Silly Little Gang, Walnut Creek Magazine and more than 25 other media outlets featured Stetson in the Sept. 19 story “Stetson University climbs in 2024 rankings of Best Colleges by U.S. News & World Report.”
• WFTV cited Stetson in the Sept. 19 broadcast segment and online story “DeLand police captain fired after 7-month-long investigation.” Jersey City Times cited Stetson in the Sept. 20 story “Former JCPD Captain Fired for Racist, Sexist and Homophobic Remarks.”
• The West Volusia Beacon featured Stetson and quoted Jeffery Gates, LPD, Senior Vice President of Enrollment and Marketing, in the Sept. 19 story “Stetson University to accept ‘classical’ exam alongside SAT, ACT.”
• Hometown News featured the Stetson University Chamber Orchestra in the Sept. 14 post “Out & About.” The story also cited Routa Kroumovitch-Gomez, Professor of Violin; Jessica Speak, DMA, Adjunct Professor of Music, Clarinet; Hannah Sun, MM, Adjunct Professor of Music, Collaborative Pianist; and Kathy Thomas, BM, Adjunct Professor of Music, Horn.
• HappeningNext cited Stetson in the Sept. 14 post “Alzheimer Assn.’s in-person Brain Bus stop including an education program.”
• The Jerusalem Post featured Sam Friedman, former director of Stetson’s Hillel, in the Sept. 15 story “25 ViZionaries: Sam Friedman – No. 25.”
• HappeningNext cited Stetson in the Sept. 17 post “SPC Portfolio Day.”
• Hometown News cited Stetson’s support of the Black Art, Artists and History Speaker Series in the Sept. 14 story “Volusia Art Notes.”
• Bar Professors, MBE Testing Institute and other media outlets cited Stetson Law in the Sept. 18 post “Bar Professors – February 2024 Bar Exam Tutors – UBE, Florida, California – Now Available.”
• HappeningNext featured student Joseph Parr in the Sept. 19 post “Bach’s Labyrinth: Organ Recital.”
• City & State Florida cited Stetson Law in the Sept. 19 story “Florida bar exam results bounce back to previous pass rate.” Also, The Capitolist cited Stetson in the Sept. 20 story “Florida Bar exam passage rate sees uptick after hitting 15-year low in April; FIU once again top performer.”
• The Free Library had Stetson in the Sept. 19 post “Top 200 Master’s Universities.”
• WTVA and more than 40 other media outlets cited Stetson in the Sept. 20 story “Hilinski’s Hope Brings Student Athlete Mental Health Week to More Than 155+ Schools.”
• FlagerLive cited Professor Emeritus Michael Rickman in the Sept. 20 story “All-Beethoven Concert Opens Daytona Solisti Chamber Orchestra’s New Season.”
• PRWeb cited Stetson Law in the Sept. 20 post “Attorney Intel Announces the Top 50 Attorneys of Tampa for 2023.”
• Orlando Business Journal cited Stetson in the Sept. 20 story “Florida’s private college rankings drop under new U.S. News methodology. See the changes.”
• Orlando Business Journal featured Stetson in the Sept. 11 story “Stetson University hits fundraising record for new programs, construction.”
• Freedom’s Phoenix profiled Law alumnus Frederick Graves in the Sept. 14 post “Ernest Hancock interviews Philip Lee.”
• Otakukart profiled alumnus Jackson Olson in the Sept. 18 story “Jackson Olson’s Missed Chance with Taylor Swift: A Baseball Player’s Regret.”
• Trenam Law cited Law alumna Tabitha Blackwell in the Sept. 18 post “Trenam Law Welcomes Four New Associates Across Practice Groups.”
• The Tullahoma News, City Biz, the Valdosta Daily Times and more than 10 other media outlets profiled alumna Melody Bonomo in the Sept. 18 post “Melody Bonomo Named the New Market President of AmeriHealth Caritas Florida.”
• CityBiz and Attorney at Law Magazine profiled Law alumna Christine Smith in the Sept. 18 story “Christine Smith Joins Florida’s Premiere Child Advocacy Non-profit, Florida’s Children First.”
• The Marin Independent Journal and Bulletin Reporter featured alumnus Luis Pedraja in the Sept. 18 story “College of Marin reveals finalists for presidency.”
• The Golf Wire and African American Golfer’s Digest cited alumna Morgan Taylor in the Sept. 19 story “PGA Reach Announces 2023 Class of PGA Works Fellows.”
• HappeningNext profiled alumna Ella Borges in the Sept.19 post “Ella & the Bossa Beat.”
• The Aiken Standard profiled alumnus Jim Diehl in the Sept. 20 story “Prime Living: Ministry, magic and music: Retired pastor shares his story.”
• FSR, Nation’s Restaurant News, City Biz and more than 10 other media outlets featured alumna Stephanie Fischer in the Sept. 20 story “Georgia Restaurant Association Names Stephanie Fischer CEO and President.”
• The Crestview News Bulletin profiled alumnus Glenn “Donovan” Singletary in the Sept. 20 story “World-renowned operatic performer embraces his Crestview roots.” The story cited Craig Maddox, DM, retired Associate Professor of Music, Voice; and Duncan Couch, PhD, Professor Emeritus of Music.
* Carolina Panorama profiled alumnus Hakim J. Lucas in the Sept. 21 story “Dr. Hakim J. Lucas delivers Matriculation Day Message at Claflin University.”Clafin University featured Lucas in the Sept. 15 story “Dr. Hakim Lucas Reaffirms Importance and Value of Elevation and Transformation During Matriculation Day Speech at Claflin University.”